Thursday, November 12, 2009

Safe & Sound in SF

I'm here in San Francisco, my flights were long but uneventful... and unsleepful. I'm really happy to see J again and am happily installed on the futon in her living room. The fridge is stocked with cheeses & Dr. Pepper. There are about a dozen different magazines in various stages of cheesiness on the coffee table. There's CARPETING! So far I haven't really experienced any reverse culture shock... just a sense of "Yes! This is how things are supposed to be!" you know, like you're supposed to be able to walk on sidewalks and not have to walk in the street to avoid the street vendors / welders / rats / etc. on the sidewalk. The cross-walks crack me up... we actually stopped at a 'don't walk' sign with only about one moving car in sight.

It's COLD. Well, cool - about 54F when we landed... but walking home from the BART stop I needed to zip my jacket... then a few blocks later I had to pull one of my pashminas out of my bag to wrap up in. We walked a good half mile and I DIDN'T SWEAT! That was refreshing. When J went to work I took a good long nap - under about three blankets. Her apartment is really cozy, and I'm enjoying that tremendously.

Tomorrow I start with the job hunting... wish me luck!

13 comments:

turtlegirl76 said...

Welcome back!

T is said...

hunting for a job in SF or Pland?

Rebel said...

Thanks Turtle.

T - Portland, definitely.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Welcome home to the USA. I'm glad the flights were "uneventful".

IamSusie said...

Welcome back!

Bezzie said...

Welcome back, good luck, AND ENJOY THE CHEESE!

Bezzie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Trillian42 said...

Good to hear you are home safe and sound. I'm betting the weirdness will hit in a few days after the "YAY! CHEESE!" wears off a little. :)

d said...

dude.


welcome back.

jovaliquilts said...

Welcome home! Hope you find a job you really like, and find it soon!

Batty said...

Welcome home!

I have a "back in the US" routine. It involves root beer and peanut butter cups.
The first thing I notice: everybody smells like soap.

Can't wait to see what you notice first!

Susan said...

You're back! And it's winter time. Brrr. Long underwear. What a pretty photo you put up, the street is so clean, the bus modern. I haven't been to SF for so long, it looks functional and tidy. I'm so glad you are back, and will keep checking your blog to see how things flow. Hopefully without impediment. \
Seven.

Melissa said...

I'm very behind in blog ready, so a belated "welcome back"! Good luck with the job hunt. What kind of job are you looking for?