Monday, December 31, 2007

New Fortune in the New Year?

Lately I've been thinking a lot about what I'm going to try to accomplish in 2008, the idea of living abroad for a year is both exciting and terrifying... mostly terrifying. I've listened to my Korean CD but still haven't picked up much more than "Hello" and "Do you speak English". I've turned in my application for the CELTA program, but I'm still not entirely sure how to handle my work situation while I'm taking the CELTA course. And I'm most worried about what on Earth to do with Sally if/when I go abroad. And it all seems a bit like something other people do, but I never could. Even though, you know, there's no reason why I couldn't.





Anyway, I went to the mall the other day... I had a bit of a blanket crisis - I don't want to talk about it... but while shopping I stopped to get some "Chinese" food at the Panda Express. I was sitting there thinking about going abroad, worry worry worrying, and then I got to my fortune cookie. Now, I don't set much store by fortune cookies (or horoscopes or anything) in fact a few days earlier I got a fortune cookie with a fortune so unsuited to me I traded it with my friend.





But this one was...this one was perfect:

It's perfect because it didn't just say "You will take a trip to Asia" but that I will enjoy a trip - and that's just what I needed to hear. I could really end up enjoying Korea. It might be more than just interesting and challenging life experience. It could be fun, I might have a blast! So I'm going to try to ratchet down the worry and focus on the excitement. That's actually kind of tough for me. I general do a really good job of planning things (and frequently plan for the worst case scenario), but sometimes it's hard for me to get really excited about something before it actually happens. I guess I'm always a little nervous that it won't actually happen, so I don't want to get my hopes up. But that's a crummy way to live. So I'm going to let myself get excited about going to Korea to teach English... but I'll stay open to seeing what else might pop up as I'm heading in that direction. This is pretty big for me... I might be growing... stay tuned.


4 comments:

Eryn said...

I'm excited that you're excited! You will be fabulous!

Happy New Year!

Mag said...

Well, I guess you've been warned. :-)

Batty said...

Good luck with the Korean! I hope 2008 is the year you get to have fun and visit exciting places.

Karin said...

Good for you!

In my opinion and experience, travel is always always good. I never regret it.

I took the CELTA. It's a good program. Very good. Ask M5K for my email address and I'll tell you more.