Sunday, July 29, 2007

This is not the end...

It is not the beginning of the end, but it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning. (Bet you didn't know Winston Churchill was a quilter. ;)




If I stopped here & backed it, it would be the pattern from the book. But this seemed really unfinished to me. So I added a bit to make mine bigger. I still have two rows of big triangles to attach, at the top & bottom (one of which needed to be unsewn & resewn - the other just needs to be sewn up), then of course I have four borders to add and the top will be done.

I've been trying to figure out how to calculate how much more work there is to be done. After cutting out all the pieces it always feels like a huge chunk has been done. But then of course there's the sewing together (and ironing!) all of the individual blocks and that feels like the biggest part. Until you start putting together all the pieces and the top comes together, which feels like - oh it's all done *all* I have to do is add the backing & quilt it. But as anyone who quilts knows full well.... a finished quilt top does not equal a finished quilt. In my case a finished quilt top stayed hidden in my closet for a good two years before it was finally quilted up and finished once & for all - and I didn't even quilt it by hand!!!



So I guess the best way to divide up the process of making a quilt is in quarters. The first quarter of the work is the designing, picking out fabrics, and cutting everything out. The second quarter would be putting together individual blocks - with all the pinning & ironing that goes with it! Putting together the quilt top means you're only 3/4 of the way done. The backing & quilting part is just as much work (significantly more if you hand quilt) as any of the other parts.

Anyway you cut it up though - QUILTING IS HARD!! And it takes a freakin' long time! Every time I start sewing it up I hear my voice echoing from when I made my first quilt- "Never again!" I said. It all seems easy and fun when I'm wandering through the fabric store.... what was I thinking????

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks great, however, watching your progress through this quilt has reinforced that it really isn't something I need to try :-) I would agree with you that it all looks very difficult!

Bezzie said...

See, I'm more happy to live vicariously through you! I think your mods are going to look great.

Libby said...

It does start to seem easier after a while, but not much :-) It'll be worth it when you're snuggled up in the finished product...

Michael5000 said...

Quilting consists of several exciting moments of creativity and decision-making, separated by long hours of tedious repetitive tasks.

How I love it.

Rebel said...

Thanks guys - I hope it ends up looking good & not too busy.

M5K - that's probably the best way to describe it! There certainly are a lot of long tedious repetitive tasks!

Libby - it's true, I have a quilt I made, and it really makes me happy, even with the corners that don't line up properly.