Monday, February 18, 2008

Name my ball!

I recently joined a bowling league. Bolstered by my first game score of 108 (the last time I played in a league I never broke 100), I decided to treat myself to my own bowling ball. The man at the pro shop was awesome and clearly well suited to his job. He measured my fingers, the span of my hand, had me flex and bend my fingers & thumb, it was great. I also picked out a bag & shoes so I am all set! The new custom drilled ball felt perfect, so I told the guy I fully expected to break 150 in my next game. =P
Well... not quite. I rolled a 54! Yup... 54 pins in 10 frames. That was possibly my worst score since Jr. High. Fortunately my team did not kick me off... so I'll be back for more next week. I think I've figured out the problem though. He needs a name! I toyed with the idea of "Homer"... but that's not terribly original. He's orange... so maybe something like "Blaze" or "Flame" but then I was thinking... it might be more appropriate to go with a stereotypical bowler name like "Al" or "Joe". But then, I've been wanting to name something "October" for a while. I need ideas. What would you name him?

9 comments:

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Ouch. Ball definately needs a name. Of course, I think I can only get over 100 on Wii!

My suggestions won't be helpful...I was thinking something yarny...Socks that Rock, Ball that Rocks (hehe...no...no), Red Rocks?!

Bezzie said...

Jacques? After Marge's lover???

d said...

he looks cosmic to me. cosmo? the n-zone? who was the guy who first posited the 'entire galaxy on the head of a pin' theory? 'cause it looks like there could be a galaxy in there.

Michael5000 said...

Why, what an interesting post title!

It blazes like the very sun! So, I nominate "Apollo."

Rebel said...

irish girl - not sure a socks that rock motif would quite work here. =P

bezzie - Jacques could be a contender too!

d - cosmo makes me think of Kramer though

M5K - Apollo works thematically... but the sun-god comparison is more than a little optimistic.

Olga said...

Bowling always brings to mind Fred Flintstone and the grand poopaw- why? I dunno. Fred and Ethel Mertz is also one of my faves, that could be your shoe names.....

marissa said...

the whole cosmo/kramer thing, i think, really works, though for this bowling ball..

Rebel said...

olga... yesterday when I got home it totally hit me Fred is the PERFECT name for my ball... I even started a post about it, but I wanted to wait until I had it engraved... glad you had the same brain-wave.


marissa - yeah my bowling is probably a lot like kramers!

gl. said...

man, i got here too late, but i love that bowling ball and the picture you took of its "face." glad you found a name for it!