Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Well, that was quick.

Today's TAG - Pineapple? Watermelon? I'm gonna go with Fruit Salad for today.

So, um... I think I have a job.


I had heard about the job in Rayong before I finished the CELTA and at the time I'd said no, because I thought I wanted to stay in Chiang Mai for a while. But then I figured out that I want to be near the beach, so I went ahead and applied for it, and boom - I start on Monday.


I had to pack up and move from my monthly-rent room to a daily rent room today because I kinda figured I wasn't going to be staying here for another month. I do not enjoy packing. AT ALL. And you know, it wasn't until I was all unpacked again that I got the call about the job. So I get to repack all my crap on Friday.


I'm excited about having a job lined up because that means I'll actually have an income. But I'm also incredibly nervous. I mean, I've only had 6 hours of teaching experience so far, and I'll probably have 4 hours of teaching on my very first day. It looks like I'll be teaching adults at various levels, at least one Business English class, and at least one class of young learners. I'm not sure this will be the best fitting job in the world for me, but I'm taking an experimental view of it all. It'll give me a chance to get some experience and to work for a company that I know is legit (it's another branch of the school that I took the CELTA from). It's 25 contact hours a week at an entry level salary. The school will help me get a visa, and actually they're going to help me find an apartment too. The down side is that I'll only have one full day off a week. But as I don't anticipate having much of a social life - that shouldn't be a problem.


It's all exciting and scary... I really don't know what to expect.


Rayong is not really a tourist destination, so I don't anticipate meeting a lot of English speakers. Which means I'll really need to learn the language. Chiang Mai on the other hand is the second biggest city around, and famed for all the arts & crafts. There's a part of me that wants to do some serious shopping here before I move... but I really don't want to have to carry any more than what I already have. Such a tough call. Obviously, I have a lot of stuff... arguably more stuff than I really need. But for the month that I've been here I've worn nearly all the clothes I've brought and have not regretted bringing any particular item.

Except my notebook. Oi vey. I don't think I've mentioned that little tid-bit yet.

On the left, your standard American 8 1/2" x 11" three ring binder folder, on the right, your standard Thai A4 sized two ring binder. D'oh! You really should have seen me trying to shove sheets of A4 paper into my 8 1/2" x 11" folders. They just don't fit. Apparently A4 is the standard in Europe as well as Asia, the US really needs to get with it.


I still haven't learned to ride a motorbike... I keep getting told "come back later." I should probably take that as a Thai "No." and go someplace else... but I can't be bothered - this place is closest to my residence and the guy speaks English. I supposedly have an appointment for a lesson tomorrow at 4pm, but we'll see. I'd really like to learn while I'm here because I already kinda sorta know my way around. But I guess I can learn just as easily when I get to Rayong. I just think I'd have more fun on my last week here if I had my own wheels.


Ok... that's enough rambling for today.

13 comments:

Olga said...

you have to get the motorbike thing done! How fun it would be to go free wheeling through town!

IamSusie said...

You'll learn the ropes of the teaching quickly. There will hopefully be some other teachers there to mentor you a little bit. Good luck! I hope you find an awesome apartment!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

As scary as teaching sounds, you are the most experienced person in the room. I learned early on that there are many different ways for the students to learn and that I needed to explain things 2 or 3 different ways quite often. Of course teaching quilting didn't put as much pressure on me as teaching English will be for you. It sounds like the Thai people are very appreciative and welcoming though. Good luck and I hope you find at least one English speaking person to chat with.

Unknown said...

woo hoo! i'm so glad you got that job. doesn't it rock when you don't have to work that hard to get a job? =)

Bezzie said...

Mmmm...fruit salad!! Congrats on the job...and congrats to teaching in "real" Thailand. I love visiting places but tourista spots are so yawn. (Thus my ardent dislike of Alaskan cruises...) ;-)

d said...

awesome. congrats. so, not so sucktastic after all :).

i think it will be good for you to live off the beaten path. you'll get to experience the real thailand that way.

Michael5000 said...

w00t! Rebel writes her own ticket!

Banana Mango Smoothie, baby!

Karin said...

Oh, Rock On,Rebel! You got a job in a beautiful beach town? Suh-weet! I may be jealous. Oh, just a smidge.

Anonymous said...

It can be tough to adapt when you are used to spending 4 hours on each lesson plan, but it only takes a month or so. In the meantime, reuse as many of your CELTA lessons as you can, see if you can get several classes of the same level, stick to one or two favourite supplementary books such as Communication Games (photocopy some stuff from the place where you did your CELTA if you haven't already, they shouldn't mind), and sort as much life organisation stuff out as you can before you start. That should do you!

Yankee in England said...

Woo hoo doing the happy dance you have a job. Okay how irritating is the letter vs a4 thing. I try not to think about it too hard or it make me angry. How hard would it be to have a standard size sheet of paper I mean REALLY.

Anonymous said...

Buy all the stuff you can and ship it home. After shopping in Thailand myself and being back in the states, I sure wish I would have bought more!!! Art, clothes, everything. If I were doing it again, I'd buy buy buy.

Libby said...

Congrats on the job - seems like things are moving right along for you. Sounds like a great opportunity, even with all the uncertainties...

gl. said...

i'm behind: congrats on the job! i'm thrilled to hear you listened to your inner voice. i hope you love it at the beach!

...and: i owned a motorcycle years ago and i can't even imagine what it must be like to ride one on the crazy streets of thailand! wear a helmet! :D