Saturday, April 12, 2008

Here comes the sun...

do do do do



Here comes the sun and I say.... ...it's all right.




Oh man... Spring is making a brief visit to Oregon, and it's not a moment too soon.





I was getting really dragged down between my yucky cold and some nasty stuff at work. I told my boss that I was finally all officially signed up to take that EFL teacher training course. I've been talking about this for months but there still were no plans to train anyone to cover my desk while I'm gone. They just wanted me to "make a check-list". Which basically made me feel even less appreciated than I normally do. Like - seriously? You think all it takes to do my job is a checklist??? Then when word went out to the office that I would be taking four weeks off someone came up and said "You can't leave now, when *I* need you to do this project!" I kinda lost it and went off on how I hadn't had a vacation in two years and if I didn't get a break soon I was going to start shooting people. Because seriously, it's always about other people's projects.



You know... I had a rule about not venting about work here... Oh well, rules were meant to be broken. Onward!



Finally someone came up and actually asked me what I was doing, actually expressed interest in *my* life rather than what I could do for them which was nice. And I sat down with my boss and had a big long chat about everything that's going on on my desk, and why I'm so eager to leave etc. etc. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - my boss is awesome. She acknowledged how much stress I'm subjected to in my position and even accepted responsiblity for not being more on top of what I do everyday. Then she came up with a plan for covering my desk and suggested I start handing things off / training folks right away. I swear it was like a giant weight lifting off my shoulders.



And now - it's sunny! We get about two days of beautiful glorious weather before the rain comes back. Sally & I intend to fully enjoy it!

9 comments:

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Enjoy the sunny weather!! So glad your boss finally "got it!" Well at least this week, right :)

IamSusie said...

My husband is a big believer in well-defined job descriptions. It's great that your boss responded so supportively.

Anonymous said...

Glad OR got some nice weather - we finally got some too for a bit. Very little bit. :)

Totally understand the work issue - I'm glad your boss is great though. :) Good luck on the training course!

Bezzie said...

Look at sweet Sally huffin' those sproutlings!

I've gone through what you speak of every time I leave a job. One time I got roped into writing a whole job manual for a lousy receptionist position. So count your blessings that it's just a checklist--and turn off your phone when you're out for four weeks!

Bridget said...

I'm in Portland, too, and I have to stay I have so appreciated the sunny weather this weekend . . . I needed it!! And it sounds like you did, too . . . I can't believe it's supposed to rain more next week . . . oh, well!

And thank heavens you have a decent boss . . . that makes a potentially hideous situation hopefully bearable . . .

gl. said...

yi! i left my last job w/ a similar issue: "um, why haven't you picked my replacement yet and why do you think a checklist will help?" ergh.

Mag said...

I love it when the cats sniff the flowers.

Sounds like your outburst at work bore sweet ass fruit. Good for you! Sometimes bosses need a taser to the behind. They get bogged down in lists and don't look up. Every job, even the boss' can come down to a checklist. Really. The special attention that comes beyond the list is what make an exceptional employee and they are few and far between.
I am so inspired (can I be 'proud' without taking any credit?) by your going ahead with this ESL.

Rebel said...

Thanks everyone - the sun was exactly what I needed to recharge my batteries. I have a few new garden pictures to put up soon.

I've started training my replacement today, and my boss watched some of it. As I was giving certain instructions she asked "But how would you know that?" and all I could say was "I just know." No one gave me a complete instruction manual when I started - I just learned as I went.

Olga said...

Threating to shoot people always gets the gummed up machine moving...sweeeet deal for you!