Monday, April 28, 2008

Plan B

I kinda wish I had one. The class was canceled.

After sending in my check & application, confirming I had a spot in the class, requesting a 4 week leave of absence, spending two weeks training my replacements, the past few weeks working to get all my ducks in a row so that I could devote all four weeks to learning new stuff, I get down to the school and the receptionist tells me "We canceled the class - didn't you get the message I left on Friday?" ON FRIDAY???? No I didn't get the message! (I've double checked my answering machine at home and my 'missed calls' on my cell phone - there was no message).

So I don't know what kind of Mickey-mouse thing is going on here. If there was a genuine once-in-a-blue moon crisis (they said the students we would have practiced teaching on didn't get their visas approved), or if this whole thing is just a mickey-mouse kind of operation. No idea. I'd originally planned to take this course in February, but that plan fell through, when I'd sat down with the director for my interview she said there was a chance it wouldn't happen due to something or other and convinced me to sign up for the April course - because that one would happen for certain. :/ All I know is that my plans are now completely shot and I have no idea what I'm going to do now... go back to work and hope that the June class actually happens?

I really really really REALLY don't want to go back to my day job. I hate that job with a passionate fury and the only thing that's kept me going is that I was planning to take this class so I could do something new. I made that decision back in November, but first I wasn't quite ready, then the last class fell through, now this. I can't even handle the thought of calling my boss up and telling her what happened. I mean, we've sent out department wide emails about my leaving for a month, I've change my out of office message on my voice mail & email. For weeks I've been training my back ups, explaining to people that I'd be leaving. I just can't deal with telling all of them "Just kidding! I'm back.... indefinately"

I hate everything today.

13 comments:

Stacey said...

Unfortunately, I have no advice, but that sucks :( I knew how excited you were, ugh, I'm so angry on your behalf!

jovaliquilts said...

I'm so sorry!! Is there any way to investigate what's going on with that organization?

Total bummer, I really feel for you.

Trillian42 said...

Oh, sweetie. That's so crappy. :(

I think it's time to investigate the organization a little further. I'm a little concerned about it, and you.

IamSusie said...

Wow. What a strange turn of events. Maybe you could take some time to look for a new job that involves some international travel? You should probably tell your boss that your leave changed into a much needed leave of absence/vacation instead.

Can you demand that you get into some classes at another location?

Olga said...

Man, I'm mad for you. We all are. I'm sending them a harsh email as we speak...yeah. that'll chap their hides..jerks! May they all get hit by the 5:00 bus.
Ok, maybe not the bus thingy.

Mag said...

!!!
WTH? Wow. I am so disgusted with them. But I guess you found out exactly how much you DO want to do this.

Beverly said...

That sucks. I'm so sorry.

Anonymous said...

Wow...I'm so sorry. I know how excited you were. Next class in June? I'm crossing my fingers for you!

Karin said...

Damn them! Until they do something good and then I'll be happy with them again, but for now, damn them!

There are sites in Santa Monica and San Diego, too. What if you took the course there? Demand to be admitted at one of those locations asap and to be assisted with living accomodations. Or, you know, use all that extra money you probably have just lying around like I do.

Bezzie said...

WTF??? Well could you take a week off and say job hunt?

gl. said...

what?! crap! that's crazy! i can't believe they didn't give you more warning! what a terrible situation to be in; i can only imagine how embarrassing it would be to have to go back to work after that.

but i once had a job i hated very much: when i finally left (and moved to portland), i wondered what had taken me so long.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

If there was another location with the same opportunity I would check that out.

Bug like gl said, I wondered what had taken me so long, I had the same experience. Leaving the job was such a good thing.

When one door closes, another opens. You just have to find it.

Rebel said...

Thanks everyone. I moped around for a day, then spent two days actually thinking about what I wanted to do and figuring out a new plan. I'm back at work now... but hopefully not for too much longer