Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Some people drink...

I craft. Several times today I thought - I could really use a drink... and yet I kept forgetting to actually get a drink. Clearly crafting is far less self-destructive... but it still doesn't get me any closer to sorting out what I'm going to be doing the next few months.

Oh well... wherever I end up, I'll have cute feet.


When I got to the point where I needed to kitchner the first toe I had a very large cat on my lap and was disinclined to get up to get my trusty copy of Stitch & Bitch so I just faked it. I successfully got the toe... uh... closed, but it looked like crap... so I did get up to get the instructions for the second toe. These poor socks have suffered so much at my hands, there were several times I should have just stopped & ripped them back but I thought I could save them. Now, well, they're socks. But don't look too close!


I've also been powering through the Trash to Treasure quilt.


Fortunately the individual fabrics are all kinda blending together well. It helps that there's a pretty even mix of dark and light fabrics, although there's not quite as much contrast as I thought there would be, the pinwheel action is not that strong. But it works. I'm pleased.

Oh... and it's a lot smaller than I thought it would be. Well, it was bang on the measurements I'd sketched out in my notebook (surprising considering how loosey-goosey I was with the seam allowances - 1/8" here 1/2" here all balanced out I guess), it's just smaller than I had envisioned.

So there... no idea what to do about my career... but you know, crafting I can handle.

10 comments:

Bezzie said...

Well there's no 12 step program yet for compulsive crafters, so I'd say you're coming out ahead. Nice socks! (And now you know why I covet the 3 needle bind off!)

jovaliquilts said...

Those are great socks -- may your beautiful feet take you to wonderful places!

I don't know how to make socks, but I have a homemade pair my daughter gave me and I love them. She has promised to teach me.

Anonymous said...

I know you're frustrated and disappointed, but your feet are super cute and that's like half the battle. Thinking of you and sending good thoughts...!!

Libby said...

Mmm, well at least you're making beautiful things!! I love the broken dishes top. I was surprised to see it b/c I've been working on one, too that I think I'm going to finish today...great minds think alike!

You have my total sympathy about your class being cancelled. That's soooo frustrating!!

Libby said...

Mmm, well at least you're making beautiful things!! I love the broken dishes top. I was surprised to see it b/c I've been working on one, too that I think I'm going to finish today...great minds think alike!

You have my total sympathy about your class being cancelled. That's soooo frustrating!!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Quiet time with just your own thoughts is good. Keep a notebook and write down some of the random thoughts that go through your mind. The solution is there is you keep watching for it.

Beverly said...

And that's one of the reasons I knit - it's a known entity that I have some control over when other things in life are out of my control.

Great job on the socks!

Sarah Nopp said...

lovely socks...
let me introduce you to the idea of Wine Work.
This is where you pour yourself a glass of wine, turn on the computer, and blog. Or read blogs. Or something equally interesting, where wine-influenced words will be humorous for the rest of us.
Wine Work.

Rebel said...

bezzie - it's true and instead of a hangover I end up with warm feet.

jovial - I hope they do! You must be a pretty great mom for your daughter to be giving you hand-made socks! You done good! =)

mlle b - thanks, cute feet are a priority in my life. ;)

Libby - I thought I was making a pinwheel quilt, but then just the other day I saw this pattern described as broken dishes and I think that fits a lot better. Although at this point I might start calling it Broken Dishes & Shattered Dreams. - how's that for melodramatic quilting? ;)

Exuberant - it was a nice quiet time, but then when I started quilting it together I had massive bobbin related issues and wasted a whole spool of thread I had to pick out. Perhaps I need to do less thinking about my problems & more paying attention to the quilting. =P

Beverly - same here at least when knitting or quilting if it goes wrong I know it was because I screwed up, and I can usually fix it - or live with it.

Sarah - Beer Blogging could be my new favorite hobby!

Michael5000 said...

You know, the thing about crafting and drinking is, they aren't mutually exclusive.