Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Obligatory Knitting Content

Although this blog may not have reflected it recently... I do still knit.

Here are some socks I've been working on.
This is only my third attempt at magic loop. I tried starting a pair toe-up but was having problems so I frogged them, and started these cuff down.
.
These socks started out pretty good. I have a generic cuff down pattern and just did 2x2 ribbing for the cuff. Unfortunately I left the pattern at knit night several weeks ago, and through one thing and another haven't been able to get it back yet. I've totally winged it for the heel & gusset. In the process of turning the heel though, I got the feet all turned around on the needles. I can't describe it and unfortunately didn't take a picture. It wasn't a huge problem, but I had to pay a lot attention to where I was doing the gusset decreases.... and I totally lost which ones were supposed to be SSKs and which ones were supposed to be K2tog. Oh well, I just did K2togs and called it good.
.
Ultimately I was able to make it to knit night and M. helped me get them all straightened out. We put them on two circulars and then I just needed to knit them back onto the magic loop. Things were going well, until I started talking. Somehow I managed to get the loop into a figure eight - completely in a knot. It's a specialty of mine - I call it the black-magic loop. Ah well, I threw caution to the wind and pulled the entire sock off the needles & put it back on the right way. I didn't even drop any stitches!
.
So they're back on the needles, all the stitches are where they're supposed to be (more or less), the gusset is done, and it won't be long until I get to the toes. In fact... aren't you supposed to start those 2 inches ahead of time? I might actually need to start those now.
.
One of these days I'm going to make a normal pair of socks!!

5 comments:

Bezzie said...

And suddenly I remember why I don't dink with circs and sock knitting! I dig that yarn though.

Mag said...

They're awfully pretty for all the trouble. I just tried a new cast on for socks last night. I hope it works out in the end as it was much simpler than what I usually do.

Rebel said...

bezzie - I dig the yarn too!

Magatha - they are awfully pretty - thanks for the yarn. I might even get two pairs out of it. (yay tiny feet!). Hope you like your new cast-on... there's like no end to how many ways you can knit a pair of socks!

Michael5000 said...

She was actually knitting on those socks -- at a quilt guild meeting. They don't call her "Rebel" for nothin'.

Zonda said...

Hehe..knitting at quilt guild, perfect ;) Sorry to hear of your woes (sounds like me in a lot of things) but they are going to be cool, love those colors!