Monday, July 14, 2008

Books!

I've seen the book meme on Indigo Mouse & Babbling Brook's blogs and I loved it, so I'm going to share mine, and I hope you do it too. The tough part is sticking to one answer per question... I've got 3 answers for each question, and a few books fit all the categories.

1. One book that made you laugh: David Sedaris Me Talk Pretty One Day, in particular the scene where the students in his French class try to describe Easter cracks me up. "A bell that brings chocolate? That's fucked up."
2. One book that made you cry: I'm with Stacey - Little Women, and hearken back to that same episode of Friends where Rachel has to put the copy of The Shining in the freezer, then Joey starts getting really upset "Beth's really sick!" and Rachel puts Little Women in the freezer for him.
3. One book that you loved as a child: Oh What a Busy Day
4. One book you’ve read more than once: Gone with the Wind - I can't say enough about how incredible this book is. I've read it over and over, I laugh, I cry, I dog ear certain passages to read over and over - it's just an amazing novel.
5. One book you loved, but were embarrassed to admit it: Well, the real answer to this question is a self-help book (or two) that I'm actually too embarrassed to admit! But I guess a fair answer is trashy romance novels. I actually haven't read one in several years, and seriously the plots all start to sound the same after a few. But Saving Grace by Julie Garwood was one I remembered as particularly sweet & at times really funny. There's a scene where the heroine is trying to get those rough highland lads to behave so she starts throwing pottery. I promise it's hilarious
6. One book you hated: The Old Man and the Sea. Good lord I thought I was going to die of boredom reading that book, the longest 100 pages I ever read!
7. One book that scared you: The Stand - I couldn't even finish it. I got part way through and just couldn't deal with it. I've read other Stephen King novels, but this one just really bothered me.
8. One book that bored you: The Old Man and the Sea qualifies for this one, but it was so boring that I absolutely hated it... and I can't think of another book that I felt that strongly about. As far as a book that I found boring, but other people really liked, I did not see the appeal of Wicked. I really didn't like the story at all, I didn't care for the characters and I thought the animal rights thing was a bit heavy handed.
9. One book that made you happy: The Secret Life of Bees - this was another laugh/cry/love books.
10. One book that made you miserable: Kite Runner - OMG! It was so depressing!!!
11. One book that you weren’t brave enough to read: Hmm... I think I'm 'brave' enough to read anything, it's just whether or not it appeals to me at a given time. I'd say maybe I'm not brave enough to read War & Peace ... just because I have this idea that it would be long & boring.
12. One book character you’ve fallen in love with: Oh see, this one fits better in the "book that makes me happy" category, but I can't think of another character I loved this much. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. I absolutely loved the main character, and it was probably the most genuinely uplifting books I've ever read, although I'm not sure many would share that opinion.
13. The last book you read: Learning Teaching
14. The next book you hope to read: My reading for enjoyment is on temporary hiatus... so it's hard to say what I'll be in the mood for when I finally get a chance. Hmmm - I just found out that David Sedaris has a new book out - When You Are Engulfed in Flames... so I guess that's one that I really hope to read soon.

It's funny, since I'll be going abroad indefinitely, I'm kind of in a real life "desert island books" scenario. Aside from the grammar/teaching texts and Thailand guides, I'll be bringing seven books (with more to come later).


You can probably tell by the state of the covers which ones I've read the most.

The Bible
- not so much for you know, reading... but I do enjoy quoting scripture at people. ;)
Gone with the Wind - best book ever.
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - another one I don't get tired of reading... plus I kinda feel like I'll want a couple "Great American Novels" while I'm abroad.
Me Talk Pretty One Day - I'm gonna need something to make me laugh.
The Secret Life of Bees - This one gives me the warm fuzzies (after making me cry buckets of course).
Then there are two new books, because you know, it could get boring to keep reading the same old books over and over. The Tipping Point & Peace is Every Step.... I've been wanting to read both for a while, and hope that they'll be uplifting / inspiring.






10 comments:

Karin said...

oh, just finished When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris yesterday.

I love him. I'd marry him, but we both have spouses and I don't have the right equipment for him anyway.

Trillian42 said...

Oh, The Tipping Point is fascinating! And when you have a chance, take a look at Blink (same author) too.

Stacey said...

Yah! I love reading with these - we do have a lot of books in common. I've reread Gone With The Wind & Huck Finn several times :) I loved Curious Incident... as much as you.

And I'm with Trillian - Blink is great!

Beverly said...

If you ever have the opportunity, you should listen to the audio book version of any of David Sedaris' books. He reads them himself, and hearing his interpretation of his own words is absolutely hilarious.

IamSusie said...

I love The Old Man and the Sea! I'll have to add Gone with the Wind to my list of must reads. I know that's the sort of book I'll like.

I did this on my blog too. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Interesting! Wicked is one of my favorite books, and I loved The Stand and didn't find it scary at all. I agree about Sedaris and Hemingway though. Thanks for sharing!

Olga said...

yeah, wicked left me cold too, didn't even finish it. Now the Stand? Loved it. Reread it a few times and I still think about it. I love end of the world books, sick eh?

Lady Miss Violet said...

I notice one of those is a Multnomah County Library book. The fines are going to be severe by the time you get back!
Jill

Rebel said...

It's not a checked-out book, it was from a Page Turners book club. They hand them out and they don't even specifically ask you to bring them back. I should probably feel bad - but I don't ;)

Michael5000 said...

Don't feel bad about the Page Turners book. You'll be turning the pages, that's what they're for. A little gift to you from the Friends of the Multnomah County Library. Join today!

Just finished Tipping Point yesterday. Not bad. Gladwell pitches his books in a self-helpy sort of way -- probably helps him sell seminars and the like -- but I think they are more interesting to read as alternative perspectives on human nature.