Sunday, May 20, 2007

Quilt Progress

I've finished sewing all of the geese blocks, and the sashing triangles are all cut out. So now, I'm ready to start piecing together the rows to make the quilt top. Essentially, the easy part is over now, and each step from here is going to get a little harder. My main problem is space. I really don't have a good place to lay out the entire top. I mean, I've got room on the floor, but that requires vacuuming, and getting Sally out of the house (easier said than done). And when pinning the quilt top to the batting & backing, one is supposed to have a flat surface... and that's just not possible for me. Then, once it's all pinned together I've got to try to fit it all through my tiny little sewing machine. That's the part that was really challenging with my first quilt.


I've been thinking about getting a new machine... but I'm not enthusiastic about that. I went to the sewing machine store and told the guy what I was looking for, (a basic non-computerized machine that's reliable and has plenty of room to fit a quilt through the hole) and said I didn't want to spend more than $500. Then when showing me machines he told me "well what you really want is..." and showed me a $900 computerized machine that was on sale for $700. The fastest way to get me to walk out of your store without buying anything is to tell me that I want to spend more money than I said I did to get something that I said I didn't want. Oh well, I guess I have to do some research online to figure out what I *really* want and what it's going to cost, so I don't have to deal with a sales person at all.



For now at least, this little machine is hanging in there - but I bought it 10 years ago, and it was bottom of the line then... so it really is time for an upgrade.

3 comments:

Mag said...

I know, I've been shopping for a simple machine for my niece for about a year now. All overpriced, but people pay it! I've been outbid on eBay about 25 times now for what I felt was way too much money! And as you've found out, as soon as you hit the sewing machine store, they want to "sell" you something and they go into that mode. I guess I'll have to camp out at one to find a used machine for sale, before they sell it to a friend. ;-)
Good luck

Mary, Mary... said...

Look into buying a floor model from a sewing machine/quilt shop--I got my Brother Nouvelle 1500s that way. No computer stuff and lots of space for a queen sized quilt. I love the flying geese--triangles are my nemesis!

Anonymous said...

Ok, woman, you are going to be a very bad influence on me! I want to go to the fabric store right now and spend every last dime!