Monday, October 1, 2007

Commuting

So how do I get from here to there everyday? Well here's a trip from home to work starting at my doorstep.
PS - I'm not that tall... my feet really are that tiny.

First, out the door, around the corner and up the steps. Please note the uh... lush vegetation.


At the end of my street, I turn and start going down the hill. Check out the amazing view of Mt. Hood. Well... it's there, I promise.
Two blocks down, take a peek down the side street at Mt. St. Helens. Again... I promise it's there.


At this point I've been walking for about 5 minutes, and I'm ready for a bit of a pit stop.

Fortunately there's a Plaid Panties right there.
It's time for a healthy breakfast! (It says "Dr."- it has to be healthy!)

Another block, and work comes into view. It's still about another 3 minute walk.


And that's how I get to work, on my own two feet. The way there is fine, all downhill. But you know what they say - what goes down, must come up.

But it's not all bad, I get to walk past this beautiful mountain stream. You can almost see the salmon swimming up stream.
But when I'm not walking to & from work, or waiting for the #8 to take me downtown (which deserves a post of it's own), I drive this beautiful 1996 Plymouth Neon. Her name is Babette, I named her on my first test drive. I've gone well over 100,000 miles with her, to Vancouver BC & Passadena CA and countless trips between Lacey WA and Portland.



And that's how I get from here to there and back again.

8 comments:

DomesticOverlord said...

"Barbie, are you a real doctor or are you a doctor like Dr. Pepper is a doctor?"

I loved your post, Miss Zuma!

Mag said...

I was hoping someone would do a montage with this bloggstalking assignment!. I love your bumpersticker. I can just barely make out those salmon! Isn't nature lovely! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Ah the Pacific Northwest...the serene "views", the mountain streams, the WTF license plates. (Your post cracked me up.)

Michael5000 said...

And what a beautiful day you picked to show off our town!

Really, people, it's only that gloomy from October to May. The rest of the year it's quite nice.

maryannlucy said...

Love it! This is a great way to see other people towns and countries - love the salmon.

Rebel said...

LOL @DO

Yeah, this is not the most glamorous part of Portland, and the weather was particularly crappy when I took these pictures (BTW M5K - it was still September!). But I decided to go for the Ken Burns 'warts & all' approach.

I would like to say though, that it is really beautiful up here. The woods & weeds 'landscaping' of my apartment complex makes a very comfy home for many lovely & entertaining birds. When it's clear (mid July - Sept), I really do have spectacular views of the mountains. And even when the weather is cold & wet & miserable, it's really beautiful to see the fog & mist floating between the evergreens.

Bezzie said...

It reminds me of Juneau except, well it's more paved ;0)

Eryn said...

Gah - I wish I could walk to work!