Thursday, October 18, 2007

WIP update

It's well and truly autumn around here, it's been cold and rainy and windy and foggy... real knitting weather. I've actually been making some progress on a few different things.

I'd started this shawl for my niece early in the summer. It was originally a triangle shawl, but I just couldn't get into the pattern adding stitches each row. So after setting it aside for quite a while, I finally ripped it all back and restarted it again as a rectangle. And check it out - lots and lots of progress.
I kinda feel lame because I'm using Peaches & Cream cotton... not something fancier. But honestly, she's a kid and this is more for dress up than anything else. She likes to wear grandma's Cozy, so I thought I'd make her one of her own. So it might look a bit cheap, but at least I won't care if it ends up under her bed for weeks on end.

My Everyday Cardigan is in the seaming up stage. I've attached the fronts to the back at the shoulders, and the sleeves to the body. I'm not fond of seaming. I think I'm going to save this for the next knitting night I go to, so at least I'll have company.
But it's nice that it's starting to look like a real sweater, and not just oddly shaped pieces.

And since I didn't really feel like seaming, I decided to cast on for Soleil take 2. I'm using the Soy Silk I bought at the Oregon Flock & Fiber Festival. It's going well so far. I had to cast on a couple of times because I was using the long-tail method and kept running out of yarn. But I finally got it right! It takes a good long chunk of time (an hour - two?) to get through a lace repeat, so it's not a very good take-along project. It's just perfect for sitting down with my Firefly DVDs. =)
The lace pattern is really easy, but still I like to have stitch markers. Somehow though, I've lost half of my little plastic ring stitch markers, so I'm using the split ring markers too. But they're sharp & pokey. =( I need new stitch markers. I've done two rounds of lace already, but I was also thinking of doing an extra round of the lace and making the top a little longer than the pattern calls for, just for adequate tummy coverage.

On the quilting front - so far so good. I was thinking about calling an official end to the quilting season, and putting my sewing machine into hibernation. But I just can't quite bring myself to do it yet. I think I need one completed quilt for myself before I do that, and I've got some thoughts twirling around in my head but haven't settled on anything yet. It'll need to be relatively small, easy & quick so that I can actually finish it. I'm thinking flannel... I'm thinking big squares... nothing fancy.

Cell phone update:

I'm loving my new phone, and I want to share a couple of stories. As I mentioned I bought the phone with J., and she helped me figure out how to put it together before she left. I still had to activate it and charge it so I told her I'd call her when I got the new phone number. So much later that evening (there were issues with adding $$ to it) I called J, but she didn't answer. When she called back later she said she didn't recognise the number and was like "Who the hell is this calling me???" =P

The first time I called my sister however (I hadn't told her I was getting a cell phone), she answers the phone "YOU GOT A CELL PHONE!" =) As I'm the only person she knows in the 503 area code, it was pretty easy for her to figure out it was me. Later this week as I was walking home for lunch I got all excited because with a phone in my pocket I could just call someone & chat rather than just walking the same boring walk I walk four times a day. So this time she answers the phone "You just *love* that phone now don't you?" =P And it was a novel and fun to get to chat with her for 9 minutes in the middle of the day for no good reason.

I really am enjoying my phone. I still jump when my purse starts ringing, or my coat pocket starts vibrating. And I was completely at a loss at work yesterday morning when my cell phone rang at the exact same time as my office phone. But I sorted it out, and now my phone is on silent while I'm at work. All in all I'm glad I got the phone, and I think this might actually make me a slightly more social person, which is good.











8 comments:

Michael5000 said...

Big flannel squares sounds fast, and cozy. Both good things.

IamSusie said...

I like Peaches and Cream cotton. I'm making a big afghan out of it. Maybe I'll regret the choice, but I like the bulky heaviness of Peaches and Cream.

It's funny. I am so glad not to have a cell phone. I dislike randomly chatting on the phone and I don't want people to be able to call me anywhere. I like my quiet days. However, I am grateful that my husband has a cell phone, because I do like being able to reach him at any time to find out when he expects to get home in the evenings.

Stacey said...

I can't wait to see that cardigan! :) And your Soleil sounds so lovely in Soy Silk!

As for the phone...I only have a cell but I HATE talking on the phone...so I rarely use it unless I have to.

Rebel said...

I actually hate talking on the phone too... but I hate talking on the cell phone less, because I can do something else at the same time (like walking home from work). I haven't actually given it out to too many people though, so we'll see if I still love it in a month.

Batty said...

There's nothing wrong with Peaches and Cream. I really like the colors it comes in, it looks great.

Can't wait to see the seamed-up cardigan, and Soleil is looking good. Great job! Now I just have to follow your example and start working on/finishing things...

Bezzie said...

Ha ha, I bought a cell phone because I hated talking to the people in Dr. MS's lab everytime I called him at work.

I like the colors on the kid-shawl. And it took me about three cast ons to get my soleil lace right!

Anonymous said...

Email me that phone number, girl! We can practice French!

jenn said...

There's an episode of the X-Files where Scully tells Mulder that he'd lapse into a state of catatonic schizophrenia (or something like that) if he had to go without his cell phone for more than five minutes. That's kind of how I feel.