Sunday, October 21, 2007

What a difference a YO makes

I finished the third and fourth repeats of lace on Soleil... I'm half tempted to keep going so that there's lace 2/3rds of the way up the top. Or maybe I should just look for a different lace top pattern. Anyway, I happened to notice in one of my yarn baskets that I still had the lace portion of Soleil #1. I just didn't have the heart to frog that part, I think I thought I was going to pick up the stitches and start over from there... but I never did - I used the yarn for something else.
The thing I wanted to point out, and I hope you can see here is how my Yarn Overs look. When I first did them I just put took the yarn from back to front over the top of the right needle. But somehow the way I knit it doesn't actually create a nice lacy hole. I knitted an entire Cozy, never quite understanding why mine didn't look like the one in the picture. Finally I learned that for me I had to take the yarn from back to front *under* and around the right needle. So for me, a yarn over is really a yarn under. It's just one of those things you learn as you knit - everyone does things a little bit different. Now my YOs are pretty and my lace looks lacy, and I'm a happy knitter. =)

3 comments:

Batty said...

Wow. I've never seen the difference between big and almost-not there YO's illustrated this well. Though, in all fairness, I think the dark color of the lacy part contributes to the look. YO's are just easier to see on dark fabric.

It looks really nice!

Mag said...

Yeah, your blue lace looks like a completely differnet pattern because of your YOs. I had a terrible time learning the different ways to YO after a purl and before a knit, between two purls, etc. I still have to review it everytime I start a unfamiliar lace pattern. The worst is when I try to do the 'special' yarn overs on a new to me lace sock pattern. Your multi Soleil is looking good!

Bezzie said...

Isn't it funny those little things you don't realize or live with until you have that "ah ha!" moment? I had to reteach myself to purl because of that!