Tuesday, October 16, 2007

An Interesting Statue

I'm using perhaps the loosest interpretation of the term 'statue'.

This is the venerable Saint Selina, patron saint of parties.


You might know her from Mad TV, the two Latina teenagers often pray to her. "Dear Saint Selina, if you get me tickets to the Ricki Martin concert I will never say nothing bad about that bitch Theresa again." or "Dear Saint Selina thank you for the chance of holding Ricki Martin's panties".


She was miraculously discoverd at an office silent auction, and daringly rescued by J. Saint Selina has watched over and guided my friends and I through many a Birthday Party, New Year's Eve Bash, Happy Hour and even a Bachelorette Party. We have occasionally offered her sacrifices of rum and tequila (which in the tradition of the Levites we consumed ourselves ;) ) and she's been lavishly adorned over many festive occasions. Her resplendent fiber-optic wings radiated many colors of the rainbow (that is, until the light burned out =P).


Please note her gold glitter baby, who represents the future generations of partiers to come.


So if you are ever desirous of tickets to see Ricki Martin, or just need a little help getting into a festive spirit. Just ask yourself - what would Saint Selina do?

8 comments:

Michael5000 said...

"Ricki Martin's panties"? Man, I'm so out of it....

IrishGirlieKnits said...

Oh my goodness!!! I love this statue!! Great post :)

jenn said...

Oh, St. Selena. I bought her, as Rebel said, at an office auction, but not a silent one (I don't think there was much competition for Selena, but I recall that I did a fair bit of screaming and flailing my arms while placing the winning bid on a tin of Louise's famous rumballs). We were raising money for some charity thing, which is the only way I can possibly justify how much money I spent on this delightful eyesore ($20, I think). It's supposed to be the angel on top of a Christmas tree, and I believe that whichever of my former coworkers that donated it to the auction thought that it was attractive and perhaps even tasteful. I don't know how old it is, but given the prominent use of fiber optic "technology", I assume it's from the 80s. (Hey, does anyone else remember those fiber optic baton thingies that they used to sell at the Ice Capades? They'd light up and you'd wave them around? Those were awesome...)

I also have to mention her sash, which one of my former coworkers and current friends (a fabulous gay Texan) made for her. It's made with office supplies paid for by the state of Oregon, and I'm sure he'd be delighted to know that it still survives.

Anyway, Rebel, I'm sure St. Selena is delighted by the wonderful tribute.

Mag said...

Muy Comico! St.Selena, por favor, get that Beeotch off mi novio's mind and put her in the caseta de la perrera where she belongs and I will not trash talk mi hermana anymore.

Anonymous said...

Magathita - take two shots of tequila and shake your bon bon...your prayers shall be delivered.

Bezzie said...

Wow. No one elses blog subject offers advice!

Anonymous said...

I love traditions like St. Salina. It's been a long time since I've had a group of party friends and this brings back many great, but oddly cloudy, memories.

:-)

Anonymous said...

Who cares if it's a loose interpretation - best statue (and story of a statue!) ever.