Monday, October 8, 2007

Button, button, who's got the button?

I do! I was having lunch with actual T on Sunday and she mentioned that I could get cool buttons at a high end fabric and 'dry goods' store downtown. Then I remembered that there was an actual button store downtown (next to the quilt shop & a few blocks from the yarn shop - is this a great city or what?). But when I got to the button store, I learned that it was closed on Sunday. =( Not to fret, I went on to the fabric store.

Now, I really support the idea of buying local, so that all those cute little shops will stay open. But I don't really believe in supporting local businesses at any cost. I mean, there are a lot of fabric/yarn/craft stores, both big and small in the greater Portland metro area. I could just as easily go to one of the warehouse type stores, but the advantage of the small shops is supposed to be customer service & better quality products. Well, I was in the very small shop for about fifteen minutes, and the sales girl never even acknowledged my existence. Admittedly she was helping a mom and some kids pick out fabric for a costume, but they were also discussing their plans for the holidays so it wasn't like they needed her undivided attention. At one point she walked by me - like not more than 18 inches away, and didn't even look at me. I'm sorry, but that's just rude. I don't need a lot of hand holding when I shop, but I think they should at say "Hi" or "I'll be with you in a moment." So I left, and went to one of the warehouse stores, where I might add, I got excellent customer service.

They had lots and lots of buttons, a few of which would have worked. I couldn't quite decide, between these two sets. So I got them both.
Which buttons should I use for my cardigan?

14 comments:

Karin said...

Mmm....they're all yummy!

My vote goes to the ones on the left--more contrast.

Otherwise, you'd spend all morning just digging around for the buttons when you really just need to get dressed and out the door, ya know?

Zonda said...

I agree the ones on the left seem to pop out more, that is if you want them too! If you would rather they fade in with the beautiful colorway, then I think the ones on the right would be perfect as well!

Have fun! I start seaming mine tonite!

Bezzie said...

I like the ones on the right!

Missamite said...

The ones on the left.

Mag said...

You can't go wrong with either. I wish I could see them in person. The ones on the right are much more 'dressy' if that is what you would like your cardi to be. The ones on the left seem to blend with the colors better, if that is what they look like in all light.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about the small business thing. I'll support them if I have a reason to, but not just because they're a small business.

Anyhow, I like the coppery buttons on the left best.

Anonymous said...

I think the ones on the right look stunning!

Rebel said...

Thanks for the feedback, I think I prefer the ones on the left too. But to be fair, the ones on the right just weren't photographing properly. They do blend more with the colorway, and they're also a tiny bit more glossy so they reflect more of the flash.

I'm going to try to make it to Twisted tonight to start seaming, so maybe I'll bring the buttons and let the people there chose in person.

Michael5000 said...

I'm thinking the ones on the right.

Have you been to the new fabric shop at 24th & Hawthorne? I'm feeling guilty I haven't been yet.... "Cool Cottons," I think it's called.

This blog is getting comments at 2, 3, 4 a.m.? I need to start posting about knitting....

Rebel said...

I *love* Cool Cottons, the gals who run the shop are great. No buttons though. Lots of Amy Butler, Kaffe Fasset, (that kind of thing) big bold prints, bright colors, no 'traditional' calicos.

atet said...

I like them both -- but I'm really leaning towards the greenish ones. They really seem to "go" well with the sweater. And I couldn't agree more about service in ANY store.

T is said...

I'm sorry you had a bad expierence at the fabric store, because they really do have a lot of great buttons.... I really think it is just the person because every time I have gone in they have been great....

anyway I LOVE they ones on the right...

Eryn said...

Did you decide yet? I love both buttons, but the ones on the right "pop" a little more - then again, that could just be the flash problem.....

Jessica said...

I still vote on the darker ones. :) It was nice meeting you the other night!