Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Flying my freak flag

It's possible, actually highly probably that you missed this exchange in comments regarding the key chain I showed off when I spilled the contents of my purse:



jenn said...
oh, and who is that teeny, tiny man i see dangling from your key chain?
September 27, 2007 10:10 AM

Rebel said...
Why that would be Special Agent Fox Mulder making his way up Skyland Mountain to rescue Agent Skully from Duane Barry before aliens/ members of a covert para-governmental consortium kidnap her, insert a tracking device in the back of her neck, steal her eggs and give her cancer, thus rendering her infertile until season 8. Next Question?
September 27, 2007 12:50 PM

Michael5000 said...
Oh dear.... You know, I've never had a TV, but back in the day I always managed to have a standing Sunday night X-Files date with someone who did. Some friends made me VCR tapes of every episode up to #110 or something, and they've been sitting in boxes for the last 7 or 8 years. I'm going to toss them... but first, I'm watching them through, in order, while I do my handwork. So, it's not that I'm NOT going to call you a dork for what you said just then, but....
September 27, 2007 1:08 PM


Well, if I'm not a dork for that, what about this:




There's Mulder, Scully, a mysterious dead body, an 'alien incubator', the most awesome lunch box ever, and of course, the pride and joy of my collection: 109 video taped episodes of the show, programmed, categorized, and easily referenced (note the yellow pages on the left). Some of the tapes are even lovingly decoupaged.


There was a time when I would have been embarrassed to widely acknowledge all my quirks and obsessions. Prior to going on a date several years ago a coworker gave me the sage advice "Whatever you do - don't talk about your cat!" Well, I didn't talk about the cat, but I still didn't end up with the guy. So now I'm more inclined to just let it all (or mostly) hang out. Especially after hearing about a guy Mistress J. dated prior to DWE. Not only did he have to arrange care for his aged & infirm cat before he could go out with her, when said cat finally died, he wrote a eulogy that was several pages long. As long as there are guys like that out there, I don't see anything wrong with talking about my Sally.


So now I'm outed as a complete and total X-Phile. I was obsessed for quite a while, suffered through unbelievable anxiety for the six months between seasons 7 and 8, and I was absolutely heartbroken in the final seasons when the show I loved for it's sharp writing and beautiful character development, jumped the shark so completely. Agony I tell you. Sheer agony. After eventually getting some closure with the series finale, I vowed never to love another show the way I loved The X Files. I actually made myself stop watching Lost sometime in the first season because it was just too good and I was scared to go 'to the bad place' again. Once the series is all out on DVD, I'll put it in my Netflix queue. Where, at least, if it breaks my heart, it'll be quick.




4 comments:

Michael5000 said...

Well, that pretty much clears up the dork question. But in a really good way.

Nice freak flag ya got there!

: )

Anonymous said...

i think your attitude towards your freaknishess is very healthy! Besides, the x-files brought such happiness to our lives (and fodder for years of discussions and debates).....

jenn said...

Oh, the X-Files. It's like a charming but ultimately asshole-ish ex that you know you're better off without but you can't help but remember with wistful longing. You think, "It wasn't so bad...we had such good times together..." And then late one night you're flipping through channels on your mom's cable TV and you see a couple of episodes from Season 8 where all Scully does is cry and argue annoyingly with that stupid f-ing Doggett while Mulder is preparing to oh-so-plausibly come back from the dead. And then you remember why you two had to part ways, but you know you'll always have Scully's cancer and El Chupacabra and genetically modified bees and all of Mulder's sexy grey t-shirts...

Bridget said...

Ah . . . the X-Files. That was my first step into the deep time-sucking pit that is television show obsession. Buffy and Angel were also seriously dark moments for me . . . My Sweetie and I have solved the "bad place" dilemma by keeping several shows on the burner at once, all via Netflix . . . which makes it feel much more innocent . . . but no less geeky.